Alaska Pollock Labeling Requirements

posted in: Alaska, News | 0

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has updated its Seafood List to reflect a change for fish labeled as “Alaska Pollock.”

As mandated by Congress in the Fiscal Year 2016 Omnibus Appropriations, only Gadus chalcogrammus caught in Alaskan waters or the exclusive economic zone (as defined in section 3 of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act) adjacent to Alaska can be called Alaskan “Pollock” or Alaska “Pollock.”

Previously, pollock harvested outside Alaskan waters or the exclusive economic zone were allowed to be labeled as “Alaska Pollock.” These fish can now be labeled only as “Pollock.”

G. chalcogrammus is also known as walleye pollock and other common names.

For more information,visit:

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.