This easy-to-make recipe combines oysters, crackers, milk, butter, cheese, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and red pepper. This recipe is very versatile; fresh oysters can be replaced or combined with mussels, baby clams, bay scallops, or other seafood.
1 pint oysters in their own juice (liquor)
2 cups oyster crackers, saltines, or club crackers
2 cups milk (approximate)
1/4 stick butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
4 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Separate oysters from their liquor, removing any shell fragments.
- Strain liquor if necessary.
- In a saucepan, briefly simmer oysters and liquor.
- Transfer oysters to a casserole dish.
- Add 1 1/2 cups crackers (whole oyster crackers or other crackers, broken into pieces)
- Add butter, cheddar cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and enough milk to nearly cover ingredients.
- sprinkle liberally with paprika and season with red pepper according to desired hotness.
- Bake uncovered @ 350 degrees approximately 15 minutes, until casserole is bubbling and begins to brown on top.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Fish, Shellfish, and other Seafood