This is a simple recipe for a cornbread-based oyster dressing.
1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 stick (2 ounces) unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion,
1 stalk finely chopped celery
1 cup half-and-half
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 pint fresh raw oysters
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Follow the package directions for making the cornbread with the eggs and milk.
- Let cool and break into large chunks.
- In a large, deep skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and celery; cook until softened (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in half-and-half, parsley, sage, thyme, and basil; bring to a simmer.
- Add the oysters with their liquid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the cornbread chunks; gently toss to coat.
- Spoon the stuffing into a buttered 2-quart casserole dish.
- Glaze with the remaining butter.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes