A traditional cream-based New England style clam chowder with vegetables. This hearty chowder is usually served with crackers or toast.
2 cups diced potatoes
2 cups diced vegetables; carrots, celery, tomatoes, cabbage, fresh corn, onions (any combination)
heavy cream or half and half, as needed
1 pint fresh chopped clams with juice or (3) small cans of chopped clams, drained
salt if necessary and red or black pepper to taste
optional: fresh chives, green onions, or parsley
- Boil vegetables in stock until just tender.
- Reduce heat and add clams and cream while stirring well.
- Add flour in small amounts to obtain desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Garnish with fresh chives, green onions, or parsley if desired.
NOTE: Do not allow chowder to reach a rolling boil.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes