This Manhattan Style (red) clam chowder is easy to prepare.
12 large shucked clams and clam juice (see note)
2 cups canned tomatoes or about 6 medium fresh tomatoes
3 or diced white potatoes
2 sticks celery
1/2 small onion (optional)
2 slices bacon (optional)
black pepper to taste
You may use freshly shucked clams or canned chopped clams.
Hold back 1/2 of the clam juice. After 15 minutes, taste for saltiness and add remaining juice if necessary.
- Using kitchen shears, remove stomach sections and discard (whole clams only).
- Dice clam meat into small pieces.
- Dice the vegetables.
- Fry and dice bacon (optional).
- Combine clams, clam juice (see note), bacon (optional), and vegetables in a sauce pan.
- Add water as needed to cover the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes on medium heat.
- Season with pepper, taste, add additional clam juice of required.
- Simmer additional 15 minutes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes