This traditional steamed oysters recipe is from the Chesapeake Bay region.
oysters in the shell, 12-18 per person.
2 cups water or beer.
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup brown vinegar
Note: It is important to have the correct amount of water and oysters in the steamer.
- Add about 2 cups of water or beer, or enough to be 3/4 inch deep in the steamer.
- Boil on high heat about 5 minutes or until the steam rolls out when the lid is opened slightly.
- Add oysters and an additional cup or so of water and cover, heating on medium heat.
- Steam oysters about 5-10 minutes, or until the majority of the oysters are open. Do not overcook.
- Serve hot, with bowls of melted butter and vinegar as condiments.
Servings: Depending on size, 24-36 oysters will feed 2 adults.
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 15